The photos above were taken by Aaron Johanson. It was such an honor to be his subject!
UPCOMING AND RECENT EXHIBITS
Spring and Summer 2017
- Vicki will be teaching her final schedule of PCC Community Ed classes beginning April 13th. If you’d like to take Drawing with Charcoal, Drawing with Colored Pastel or Portrait Sculpture, sign up now!
- John and Vicki will be spending the next few months working on a surprise project for the 10th Anniversary of Sunday Parkways. If you want to see it, you better just go to Sunday Parkways!
- Vicki’s installation, Growing Resistance, at NWIPA is up until April 14th. The reception is from 6-10 this Saturday, 04-08. Have a great beer and to get a look at this all clay show.
- Vicki received a Career Opportunity grant from the Oregon Arts Commission to travel to Virginia for a summer residency at Cub Creek Foundation. This will involve digging and making clay, firing some bad-ass kilns and gardening. There will be a show in Virginia at the Fredericksburg Center for Creative Arts in August. A reception is being planned for First Friday, August 4th. Vicki’s new blog, Clay Life, will detail the adventure.
- I’ve been doing a terrible job of updating the portfolios on this site but a makeover is just around the corner, A year+ of new work will be added.
Upcoming for 2017
- CLASSES: Small winter classes are forming now in my studio. Enroll here. This is likely the only term that I will be teaching from the home studio this year. In Spring I will be teaching 3 classes for Portland Community College Community Ed at SE Center. These are short classes running from April-Mid May.
- SHOWS: March 2017, A wall oriented ceramic installation at NWIPA. There will be a Second Saturday reception. August 2017, Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts (Virginia) will host my installation in this Revolutionary War era building.
- RESIDENCY: I am honored to be accepted for a summer residency at Cub Creek Foundation in Appomattox, VA.
2016 Fall and Winter Events
- ESCO Corporation has commissioned me to create a commemorative triptych to honor the closing of their 100 year old original foundry in Portland, Oregon. The relief panels reflect the energy of the Melting, Molding and Grinding of steel. My 18 inch high models are being scanned and 3-D printed at 4 ft high, molded and cast in stainless steel. All of the work is being done in the original foundry and will be among the pieces cast there in December 2016.
- Portland Open Studios is October 8, 9, 15 and 16 from 10-5 each day. Feel free to contact me directly for my studio address if you’d just like to visit me. If you’d like to take the tour, there’s a printed guide and an app. More info here: http://portlandopenstudios.com/
- Saturday. November 5th from 10-4. Dennis 7 Dee’s Holiday Bazaar. I’ll be at the Powell location with my Fired In the Rain Shop. There are lots of new pieces, mason bee houses, bird houses and bite sized holiday gifts, too. (Also, Dennis 7 Dee’s raises funds for the Foster Powell Community Garden through this event).
2016 Spring and Summer Events
- Saturday, May 14th from 10-7. Vicki will have a booth at the St Johns Bizarre with some new ceramics. I’ve been playing with a gas kiln lately and have some new toastiness in my palette! Bird houses, Mason Bee houses, platters, mugs, little plates and a few jewelry items. Please come visit my booth on Leavitt St. Fired in the Rain will get an update in July. Please visit the site then.
- Vicki is creating up to 20 sculptures for the PDX-CSA. Work can be purchased here until June:PDX-CSA allows the public to purchase artwork at the concept stage and follow updates as the artists complete the art. A Meet the Artists party will be held: Tuesday, May 17th, 6:00 – 8:00pm. 2505 SE 11th Ave, Suite 272, 97202 (Inside the Ford Building, at the very west end of the second floor, across from Pinterest). Artists will have examples of their artwork on display and will be available for questions about their projects.
- Saturday, May 21st: John and Vicki each have work in the Clackamas Community College Outdoor Sculpture Invitational. There is a reception and tour with artists beginning at 11am. The work will be voted on and one sculpture from the show will stay on campus permanently. This link may allow you to vote for a sculpture.
- July: John and Vicki will be collaborating on an installation for Indivisible Gallery. The opening is July 2nd 6-9 and there will be a special event (performance and/or video on July 16th 6-9)
- August 21st: Vicki will have a sculpture unveiled in Lake Oswego as part of the Gallery Without Walls Program.
I’d like to announce my new Ceramics store on Etsy: Fired In the Rain. Follow this link to go shopping for stoneware mugs, vases, platters, earrings and my favorite, mason bee houses. My ceramics are also on display at Backstory Books 6010 SE Foster Rd in Portland.
Please mark your calendars and join Vicki in her studio for Portland Open Studio on the second and third weekends in October: http://www.portlandopenstudios.com/.
Wilson & Larsen Studio have three community projects underway at the moment www.fosterwindowproject.wordpress.com , www.62ndgarden.wordpress.com, and an intersection repair painting project for the Lents neighborhood which is scheduled for the last week of June. The Foster Window Project and the community garden are due to be completed in September 2015.
A solo show of Vicki’s ceramic based figurative work is open from February 17th-March 19th 2015, at the Clackamas Community College Alexander Gallery in Clackamas, Oregon. Click here for details
Wilson & Larsen partner John Larsen also has a show up from February 17th-March 19th 2015, at the Marylhurst University SPARE Room Project space. Click here for details
Wilson & Larsen Studio are creating a series of light pole sculptures for Main St. in Oregon City. The dedication is expected to take place on September 13th, 2014 (don’t know the exact time).
In late summer 2014, Vicki (with lots of help from John) will be creating an installation in the lobby of the Vancouver, WA City Hall. The opening reception will take place on First Friday, September 5th, 5-8pm.
Wilson & Larsen Studio have begun work on the Foster Window Project, a community based art project that will enhance storefronts on Foster Rd. The project will come to fruition in early 2015. Read more about the project at www.fosterwindowproject.wordpress.com
In Winter 2014 I began teaching Sculpture at Marylhurst University and I will be returning for the 2014-15 school year. I will also begin teaching community ed drawing classes at PCC SE Center
In Fall 2013, Wilson & Larsen Studio (Vicki Wilson and John Larsen) will be creating 3-5 collaborative sculptures for their public art portfolio. This project is made possible by a Professional Development Grant from the Regional Arts & Culture Council.
The Oregon Zoo Public Art Installations, in collaboration with John Larsen. The two exhibits that we created permanent public work for are the Cascade Marsh Aviary and the African Flamingo Aviary. Both exhibits are now open to the public.
I’m pleased to announce that I am one of 5 Artists In Residence with the GLEAN program operated by Metro, Recology and Cracked Pots from March-August 2013. I will have access to the Waste Transfer Station for 6 months to create a body of work that is 99% gleaned from the dump! A show of the work opens at DISJECTA on August 16th, 2013. Please visit the GLEAN BLOG to follow the adventures of all 5 aritsts. Here is a link to a NEW VIDEO about the project. This show will close on September 8th. Here is a link to photos of the installation and opening: GLEAN FICKR PICS
I’m organizing a community garden in my neighborhood. You can see the progress at 62ndgarden.wordpress.com You can also like the garden on Facebook. Here is a recent article from the Oregonian about the gardenand one from the Sellwood Bee (scroll down the page).
I will be teaching a session with teens at Caldera Arts Camp this summer. Here is a link to and television segment about this amazing program.
Two projects are coming up with Wilson & Larsen Studio in the month of July. Succulent Shower has found a permanent home at What the Festival and we will be installing it into it’s magical new home in late July. We are also working on a “Heart” for the Peace Health Hospital Foundation fund raiser later this summer. Here is a news segment featuring our “Artichoke Heart” and another!